Monday, June 29, 2015

Mon, Jun 29, 2015 From cow tongue tacos to dainty finger sandwiches.




Hey everyone!

Sister Snarr, Sister Wright (new comp), Sister Hoth


 I made it to the promised land. Sidney is stunning and the people here are so pleasant. I got to ride on the ferry all by myself, which scared me to death. But I survived. My companion, Sister Wright, and the Senior couple were right there to pick me up! Sister Wright is so cute. She is from Payson, Utah and has been out on her mission for about 7 months. So she isn't that much older than me. Lets see...a few things about her...she loves martial arts, she is really energetic, and she loves being a missionary. I feel so blessed to have had so many amazing companions and now to have Sister Wright. I have a feeling I'm going to love it here in Sidney. It has such a different feel than Surrey. One of the main differences is that I'm not getting fed tacos anymore but egg sandwiches and mushroom soup. So different. I miss the tacos!

It was sad for me to say goodbye to Hermana Johnson. She was the best trainer anyone could have asked for! You know you had a good trainer when everyone here in Sidney, Hermana Johnson's old area, can't stop talking about her. I'm so grateful for everything I learned from her. 

So the first part of my week in Surrey, Hermana Johnson and I found this amazing lady from Ghana. Her name is Jamima. She was actaully on the phone when we walked by her, but immediately she talked to us and set up a visit for the next day! So we taught her the Restoration the next day. She remembered seeing elders riding their bikes around when she lived in Ghana. She told us to tell them they are doing a great job. It is truly amazing the impact that missionaries have on people, even if they don't talk to them. Jamima was so open to learning and had so many great questions! When she found out that we don't actually worship Joseph Smith she said, "You tell people that you don't worship him because a lot of people out there think you do." Haha, that's what we are trying to do here! I hope that she will progress in the gospel. She is so ready for it!

We were able to visit some of the members before I left! It was so hard to say goodbye to everybody. Surrey has become such a sacred place to me. People see Surrey as a scary, dangerous place, but I will always remember the times I shared powerful testimony with God's children there. I grew stronger and learned more than you can even imagine. I have such a great love for this work and especially for the people. It broke my heart having to say goodbye to the people who have changed my life. God works in such miraculous ways, and I will forever be grateful for the opportunities He has given me to become the person He needs me to be. Mosiah 18: 30. The Waters of Mormon became such a sacred place for these people because it is there that they, "came to a knowlege of their Redeemer; yea and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever." That is how Surrey is for me. I have come to know my Savior and Redeemer through the miraculous times that took place in Surrey. I imagine that is exactly how I will feel about my whole mission. My heart is so full, and I will "sing to his praise forever."

The famous Butchart Gardens are in her area!

Now onto Sidney. Wow, we have two really solid investigators. Such miracles. First, I'll talk about Laura! She is the first investigator I met while being in Sidney. Sister Wright actually found her last transfer and she seems to just be soaking up the gospel. Her grandson just got baptized so we were able to make it to that along with Laura. She was so emotional and was really touched by the video , "Discovering the hope of God's light". I feel like she could really relate to it. If you haven't seen this video, I encourage to to watch it. It has touched my heart every time I've seen it. 

Yesterday was so fantastic! The Sidney ward is so missionary-minded and have such a great desire to build the kingdom of God! I will have to tell you all about the members next time! I am so thankful for all of you and the support I feel! I hope all of you have such a fantastic week!

Love, Sister/Hermana Hoth

















No comments:

Post a Comment